Sri-nath-ji with attendant priests
Nathdwara is a great pilgrimage centre 24 miles north of Udaipur. There is a famous black stone image of Krishna there. This is probably one of the many paintings sold to pilgrims visiting the famous statue of Krishna. The black stone statue of Krishna is shown decorated with jewellery and garlands. Srinath and the priests wear dhotis with a red edge and their heads are covered with a red scarf with trimmings rather than turbans. In front of the Krishna statue are two tasselled cushions, a footstool and a lamp with a flame.
Description taken from the ‘Art From The Indian Sub-Continent In The Sainsbury Centre’ catalogue by Margaret A. Willey (Sainsbury Centre, UEA, 1995).
Not on display
Title/Description: Sri-nath-ji with attendant priests
Born: 1850 c.
Object Type: Drawing
Measurements: Unframed: (h. 235 x w. 328 x d. 1 mm) Framed: (h. 422 x w. 510 x d. 16mm)
Accession Number: 577
Historic Period: 19th century
School/Style: Indian Miniatures
Credit Line: Donated by Robert and Lisa Sainsbury, 1978