Safety Information26 October
After lockdown, we are open and welcoming visitors again. Please take the opportunity to explore our wonderful exhibitions and unique collections, in a safe and secure environment. Art can both inspire and comfort in these challenging times.
We have implemented a number of safety procedures which ensure that we remain in line with Government policy, and provide the best experience possible. These measures mean that your visit will be different from before, but our top priority is your safety. Fortunately, the Sainsbury Centre’s architecture lends itself to social distancing.
We hope the guidance below will help to ease any concerns you may have in visiting the Centre. Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Ghislaine Wood – Acting Director
We want to make your experience at the Sainsbury Centre as enjoyable and safe as possible. To ensure you can visit with confidence, we have implemented a comprehensive range of safety measures to meet Government and Department of Health COVID-19 guidelines.
- Our Permanent Collection, Special Exhibitions, Gallery Shop and Sculpture Park will be open as usual.
- All visitors (except those who are medically exempt) will be required to wear a face covering when inside the building.
- We are using the NHS Covid-19 app for Test and Trace. You can scan in independently using your mobile via a QR code. Non-smartphone users will be able to provide their details to the Visitor Services team.
- The Modern Life Cafe will be open with a reduced menu. Safety rules are available at the entry point to the restaurant.
- This November we open our new cafe The Terrace, serving artisan coffee and delicious local food and snacks in the stunning setting of our East End Gallery.
- Toilets will be open. Please be mindful of other visitors when using these facilities.
- Visitors will only be allowed to visit the Centre in groups of 6 or less (unless you are part of a large family group).
- Sadly, we will not be able to offer guided tours, group bookings or school groups and workshops for the foreseeable future.
Entrances/Exits and Opening Hours
We have changed the way people usually access the building so that we can ensure everyone’s safety.
- There will be one main entrance clearly marked ‘Gallery Entrance’, opposite our car park P7.
- There will be a separate entrance to the Modern Life Cafe clearly marked ‘Cafe Entrance’ at the West End of the building.
- Please note, if you are parking in our car park, you no longer require a permit.
- Once inside the building, you will be asked to queue as part of a socially distanced, one-way system and check in for Test and Trace either via the app or at the Visitor Services desk.
- A member of the Front of House team will assist you at Gallery Reception, whether it’s to visit our Permanent Collection, Special Exhibitions or the Modern Life Cafe.
- The Sculpture Park is permanently open.
- We ask that you purchase all tickets in advance online here or by calling 01603 593199. We will not be facilitating ticket sales on the day at Gallery Reception.
- We have imposed small maximum capacities for specific time-slots for each exhibition. Please book early to ensure you can visit at your preferred date and time.
- If you are booking for both exhibitions, please ensure you leave enough time in between to allow you to re-queue without having to rush.
- On arrival, please show proof of your ticket to a member of staff at Gallery Reception (this can be on your phone or a print-out). You will need to wear a face covering throughout the building.
- Once inside the exhibitions, floor markings will clearly guide you through using a one-way system.
- Exhibition spaces have separate entrances and exits to ensure the one-way system is adhered to.
- Art Nouveau is on the Mezzanine with restricted access. Please see further details here.
Public and Staff Safety
When welcoming you back to the Sainsbury Centre, we want to ensure that you and all of our staff feel safe.
- Hand sanitising stations are placed throughout the building, including at entrances and exits.
- We have installed Perspex screens at our Reception and Shop spaces and Front of House staff will be wearing face coverings.
- We have considerably increased the amount of cleaning and disinfecting that takes place in the Centre, including high-touch point cleaning (door handles, railings, lift buttons and more).
- We will be asking visitors to be mindful of other people when using toilet facilities.
- In addition to one-way systems and appropriate signage in our exhibitions, these measures will be in place across the building.
What we ask from you
These are a few measures we recommend you take to ensure the safety of yourself and other visitors.
- Do not visit the centre if you are showing any signs of illness or are feeling unwell.
- Please wear a face covering when visiting any indoor areas of the Centre. These will be mandatory for all visitors (with some exceptions) from Saturday 8th August.
- Please provide your details for Test and Trace either via the NHS app or in-person.
- Ensure hands are washed and hand sanitiser is used.
- Please follow directional signage and maintain social distancing during your visit.
- Ask a member of staff if you are unsure about anything during your visit.
- Have patience during this period of new challenges and processes.
- Enjoy the Centre and all that if offers, in the knowledge we are doing all we can to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for all.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay with cash?
We regret that we are unable to accept cash payments at this time and request that customers use contactless payments on card or mobile where possible.
Can I leave my belongings somewhere?
Our cloakroom will be closed and our lockers will be temporarily out of use during this time.
Do I still need to get my ticket in advance if I’m a Member or a concession entitled to a free ticket?
Yes, all bookings must be made in advance. You can login as usual online as a member to reserve your ticket. If you choose a concession rate, you will have to provide proof on arrival at Gallery Reception.
How long will these arrangements last?
We have planned our reopening in strict accordance with guidelines set out by the Government and will only look to change these arrangements once it is entirely safe and legal to do so.
Where can I find out further information before I visit?
A list of FAQs and detailed information is available here.